12.14.2010

Baby Food and Blah, Blah, Blah

Something that I've been able to do for Isaac is make baby food.  It's so very easy, it can save money, and it's healthy!  I took some pictures so I can share how I did it.

Step One: 
Start with foods approved for young babies to eat.  I just typed "stage 1 homemade baby food" into Google and found this site - wholesomebabyfood.com .  It spells out what foods to use, how to pick good ones, how to prepare, cook, store, freeze, thaw, and serve.  Check it out!  I know that Isaac likes pears, so I started with those.  Peel and core, then chop up into small chunks.  Put in a small saucepan and add enough water to just cover the pears.  Bring to a boil, and cook on medium high until pears are nice and soft (which, with pears, they already were nice and soft, and you don't even need to cook them if they are very ripe, but I did anyway).

Step Two: Remove the pears from the water with a slotted spoon (don't drain, save the water in case you need to thin out the pear puree) and place in a food processor.  In this case, I'm using a baby food maker my sister gave me.  Then simply puree.  Add water as needed for thinning, or, if your baby is a little older, add cereal or oatmeal for thickening.




Step Three: Store!  I found these "baby cubes" on Amazon for pretty inexpensive.  They are 2 oz cubes.   You can freeze them, and they are dishwasher safe.



There you have it.  Other foods I've used are sweet potatoes, apples, and carrots.  Many foods don't even need to be cooked, as long as they are ripe.  You can refer to the wholesome baby food website above for more info about that.

Isaac talks.  That's right.  He says, "blah, blah, blah."  All the time.  It's cute.  He also says a lot of things that don't mean anything, like,"da, ba, hom" - the list goes on.  I love it.  At his 6 month check up he weighed 15.4 lbs and was 27.5 inches tall.


1 comment:

  1. Oooo... I'd love to do this. I never made babyfood with Jack, and it was SO EXPENSIVE! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...