3.21.2013

food failure, food success

Yesterday I caved to the pressure of a 2 year old asking me over and over again for pretzels. I don't give pretzels to Isaac because they contain soy, gluten, and corn.  We've gone 2 weeks with a few mess ups, but for the most part we've been pretty strict with his diet. 

Yesterday was one of those days that I failed at being a mom.  Sure, I kept both my kids alive, fed, entertained. 


But I was grouchy

I was selfish.

I was down right mean to my son at one point.

AND I gave him pretzels.

That's the food Failure. (the rest was parenting failure)

But despite all my short comings, Isaac remained his happy self, and he gave me something to rejoice about.  He ate 2 or 3 pretzels, and then looked at me and said, "something else.  Banana."

Asking for something healthy?  Do my ears deceive me? I was thrilled. Buuuuut unfortunately we didn't have any bananas.  I went to the store last night to make sure that we had plenty today.

That's the food Success!

Anything worth doing takes much effort.  I've always been the kind of give up before I even start.  I've said things like, "it's too hard," and, "it's not working!" about so many things in my life.  That's the reason I'm not a ballerina and I don't tap dance (I don't like it Mom, it's too hard!), that I'm not a concert violinist by now (I can't hold my hand that way!), that I didn't tour the country with a group of christian musicians (it's too unknown!)...
                                                                                             
...my child is something that I can't give up on.  I mean, I guess I could.  But if you're a mom you know that giving up is not an option when it comes to your children.  Especially your children's health!  So I've been pushing through my urge to give up and give in.  And giving in to something like pretzels comes down to exhaustion and lack of patience - both things that I'm working on.  I am human, after all.

So I guess the food failure wasn't really a failure, because after all, he didn't even want the pretzels. Maybe instead of a failure, I'll call it a test (whatever helps me sleep at night!)  It was a test to see how he would do. And he passed, with flying colors!  He's getting it.  He's craving things that are better for him.  He might not be eating a vast array of new foods, but he's choosing foods that are healthy!  And that, my friends, is a wonderful place to start.

Thanking God today for little "failures" that turn into successes. 




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...