3.12.2013

gluten/egg free chocolate chip cookies




I've always used the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the nestle toll house chocolate chip bag.  I've never gone wrong with it.  I've tried countless other recipes for ccc, and they never turn out as good.  Now that I've started experimenting with different flours, egg, and butter subs, I figured it only right that I start with that recipe as my base.  So glad I did!

Isaac can't have eggs, gluten, or dairy.  All of those things are in the nestle toll house recipe.  I've been experimenting with a butter replacement, and I haven't found one yet.  I tried coconut oil and the cookies got super runny, and they didn't taste as good. So for these I decided to keep the butter in.  Yes, it's not completely Isaac-friendly, but it'll have to do till I have more time to research and experiment.  I thought I found something when I reached for the Crisco, but the first ingredient (and then many other ingredients to follow) had the word "soy" in it.  He can't have soy either.  Sigh.

These cookies have dairy - butter and Nestle Toll House chocolate chips. 

What you'll need:
  •  2 1/4 cups of gluten free flour (mine is a blend that I got from a good friend.  It's 2 cups of rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch, 1 & 1/2 tsp xanthan gum mixed....you can mix it up in large batches and substitute it 1:1 for regular flour)
  • 1/2-1 cup of almond meal/flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Almond meal/flour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  •  1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter (softened)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Egg substitute the equivalent of 2 eggs To make the egg substitute grind flax seeds.  You can use a coffee bean grinder or I used my Magic Bullet.  I got the specifics for doing this here: http://www.egglesscooking.com/2008/10/15/egg-replacement-event-flaxseed-meal/  It says to put the flax seeds and the water into a blender and mix, but I just whisked them together in a bowl with a fork, and it worked great!
  • 2 cups chocolate chip
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Set aside the almond flour, as you are going to add this after you've already combined all other ingredients.  Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.  In a separate bowl combine butter, sugars, and vanilla.  Add egg substitute to wet ingredients.  Using an electric mixer, mix for 2 minutes.  Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stopping to mix occasionally.  After all the ingredients have been blended, start adding the almond flour.  This isn't an exact science, and that might not be ok with some of you.  I think I used a total of 1 cup, but I added it by 1/4 cups and stirred well before adding each additional 1/4.  The reason I added it is because the cookie dough was too runny, and when I tried to cook one of the cookies, it fell flat.  So, I added almond flour slowly, and mixed well, until the cookie dough had a more familiar texture/thickness to it.  When I got the desired thickness I added the chocolate chips.

I use a silpat for baking so that I don't have to use cooking spray (soy!)  Feel free to use any of your non-stick methods.  Parchment paper, oil, butter, crisco, cooking spray, whatever!  Put the cookie dough in round, heaping spoonfuls on the cookie sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes (depending on your oven) or until cookies are light, golden brown.

I put a bunch of cookies spread out on the cooking sheet first, because I didn't know if they were going to turn out.  I thought they might fall flat and be a runny mess.  This is what it looked like:
 




The cookies turned out more delicious than I could have hoped.  I've had so many failures with gluten free cooking - and then add an egg substitute in there - that I expected them to fail before I even started.  You can imagine my delight when I turned the oven light on and saw these fluffy, chunky, non-runny beauties staring back at me.


Not to mention, they actually taste good!  And not just good, delicious!  They taste like the "real" thing!  Shock of shocks, gluten free cooking doesn't have to be taste free!  AND, do you know how many health benefits flax seeds have? 
Check this out: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed

I'm so pleased!

If you try them, could you let me know how they turn out?  What did you do differently?
What would you change? I'd love your feedback! 
Also, what do you use instead of butter that's dairy free?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...