3.20.2013

Keeping Mama Well

A big part of keeping Isaac well is being well myself.  It's a struggle!

Being the mom of 2 kids, I found myself eating junk (because it's quick), showering once every few days (don't have time or when I do I'm too tired), not exercising as much as I should (without sleep, how I have energy to even function to take care of my kids is a supernatural mystery, let alone exert tons of extra energy!), neglecting time with my husband (living like roommates instead of 2 people madly in love), and neglecting time with my friends (most of them have kids and are just as busy if not more busy than I am.  Plus, I kind of forgot how to talk to adults!)

In order to be well, I've started making myself do a few things that I wouldn't otherwise want to do.  Like exercise! (not my favorite thing to do in the slightest!)  And praise God - my baby girl of 7 months has been sleeping more.  Not much more, but enough that I'm sleeping some too.

A few months ago I embarked on a weight loss journey.  I started with the tried and true Weight Watcher's program. That helped me lose 17 pounds and get under my pre-pregnancy weight.  I then did the 17 day diet for a few days (hah!  Didn't make it to 17 days!) which helped me lose 6 more. (I plan to get back on that one day...not because it's really a diet, but it's a great way to eat and stay healthy/have energy/cleanse your body, etc.)  Now that I'm at a place where I'm comfortable with my weight, it's time to start doing something that helps me tone up too.  I've been walking a couple times a week on my treadmill for a few months.  I never thought I'd say this, but I actually look forward to that time.  It's just me, music that is way too loud in my headphones, and sweat.  It's alone time, time that is so precious and hard to find.

Last night I went to "boot camp" with a few of my good friends.  I was scared to death! It was 45 minutes of intense work out.  We did planks, side planks, leg circles, mountain climbers, forward lunges...and so many other things that I don't know the names of.  It KiCKEd/My/bUtT!

I'm so sore today.  But I like it.  It means that I did something to help my body.  In a couple days, when I'm feeling like I can walk normally again, I'll do boot camp again.  

I'm also going to start to try and learn to run.  We'll see how that goes.  My goal is to be able to run a mile (jog, I guess) without stopping, by May 25.  2 months.  Think I can do it?

I've also made time for my husband.  He is my partner in crime, my foundation, my constant friend (even when I'm not so nice to him!)  It's not always easy, but it's so important and so vital.  We are going through a Bible study together, something we've wanted to do for years but never got around to.  The more I hear him talk about the Bible, the more I realize that he is thinking exactly what I am, it's just that he knows how to put it into words.  He inspires me, challenges me to know more.  I'm learning to cherish the little things: his laugh.  He has the best laugh!  He always ends up coughing when something is funny enough to make him laugh.  He also has long arms and thus gives the best hugs.  He is the only one I feel I can be completely real with.  He loves me despite my grumpiness in the morning.  He is the true definition of a best friend.

I've also been able to spend some more time with friends.  God has blessed me with amazing friends.  I don't deserve them.  I'm thankful for them!

So, here's to being well.  Getting well is the first step, then I can work on keeping myself well.

3 comments:

  1. Yayy You can do it!
    I absolutely love those bootcamp classes. I had to quit doing them because of the heel problems i developed last summer. I miss it so much! You'll definitely get used to it if your consistant....and you will love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny because at first exercise drains you but once you really get into it it gives you more energy than ever. Great job, gan! I miss you. I hope you learn to run! I think you can do it, now that you have a goal. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...