7.15.2013

Freedom from Facebook

The relationship I have with social media is love/hate.  I have a lot of friends that I've made over the years, and they live in different parts of the country.  Some of them live in different parts of the world.  Social media helps me connect with them, see pictures from their travels, updates of their children, know how to pray for them, etc, etc...

...but the price of all that is just too great.  So many things suffer when I'm "plugged in" to social media.


What suffers?

My household.  When I allow myself to constantly look at social media, the laundry, dishes, floors, tubs, toilets, toys, food, anything under my roof gets neglected.  I spend so much time posting pictures and then checking back every 2 minutes to see who liked them or commented on them, or looking through hilarious pictures of cats sleeping in weird places, that the things that really need to get done don't.  Or they get done in a hurry and aren't done as well as I know they can be.  Before I know it, it has been a month since I mopped the kitchen floor, and there is a pile of clean laundry at the foot of my bed that I never put away (not to mention toys in disarray, sheets that haven't been changed, and dogs that haven't been walked.)

My already over active imagination and fears.  News stories about people being killed, bombings, tragedies, kidnappings.  It's enough to make me go insane.  There is a reason I don't watch the news.  I guess I'm too sensitive to that tragic reality.  There have been times when I've been completely fine until I see something horrible on social media, and then I'm a complete wreck all day.  Because, as you can imagine, you don't just see it once, you see it over and over and over again in your news feed.  More harm than good for me.

My real relationships.  There have been times when, instead of calling someone, I'll send them an email via social media.  Instead of going to see friends, or friends coming to see me, it's so much easier just to live in the falseness of social media.  You live 3 miles from my house, but instead of coming to see you and your beautiful children, I sat down for 37 minutes and looked at all the pictures of them.  I commented on them, I liked them!  Isn't that enough to satisfy the face time that our relationship so desperately needs?  No, it's not.  To put it bluntly, it's a lazy way to have a relationship.  To me, relationships grow and thrive on real-life interaction, voice inflection, touch, community....and although I think social media was designed to promote those things, instead I think it's encouraged lazy friendships.  Say what you want, but that's my opinion.  I'm just as guilty as the next person.  Meeting with someone takes time, sacrifice, energy.  I need to practice it more.  With social media at my finger tips, I don't have to.  NOT TO MENTION the time I'm commenting on photos, reading articles, crying over terrible news stories takes away from the time I have with my little children.  Their time as little tiny ones is so short, and goes by in the blink of an eye.  Why would I want to miss that because I just HAD to see those 52 pictures of "reasons why kids are cute"?  ANNNNND my relationship with GOD, which is the most important of all.  Since limiting my time on social media, I've actually gotten through many days on my Bible in One Year plan.  Before that, there were too many things to look at!


My health!  How many hours have I spent on my butt, scrolling through my news feed?  I need to get up and move!  Actually see the world with my own eyes, and not worrying about checking in every place I go.  Where's the mystery in that?  Sometimes I like to have something to talk about with my friends, instead of starting a story and them saying, "oh yeah, I saw that on Facebook!"

All in all, I'm not saying that Facebook is the devil for most people.  I think a lot of people benefit greatly from it.  But for me...well, it's just not for me.  And since deactivated my account I feel different.  I feel free.

2 comments:

  1. I understand you. and I support you. hope you keep blogging! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEEEAAAHHHH! Love this! and agree 100% Especially about the lazy relationships. Also, I left fb because it brought the worst in me! I would get annoyed/jealous/self-righteous/prideful/insecure all at once! I know this is not fb's problem, but my own sin. But i'm done feeding that sin and I'm working toward repentance and a change of heart (through Jesus!) Anyway, I think it's great to be free too. And i just hadn't taken the time to see all the extra benefits of unplugging. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...